Friday, January 18, 2008

Cover me, Scotty!

Today I received the first draft of my novel's cover design. It was so strange... I guess the fact that my novel is finally being published never really hit me until I actually saw that cover. It's mine. My name on the cover, partially my design, my photo on the back cover... it's me. Mine. Wow.

My publisher asked if I had any ideas concerning how the cover should look. I designed a cover and emailed it to them. The cover they sent back was very close to my design, so that makes it doubly special for me. I am sorely tempted to simply sit on my laurels, enjoy the ride, and see where this all goes... Yet, I know that the wisest course of action would be to continue working on my second novel, and eventually start on my third, etc. Keep going. Write. Create.

I'm working on marketing my novel as well, trying to generate interest. Working to keep it away from the bargain bin as long as possible. I am no salesman... I believe that most artists, writers, and the like, make lousy business people--the opposing sides of their brains war constantly for dominion--the creative side and the... other side. Rarely will a person achieve both, although many have through sore necessity become artists with some knowledge of business, contracts, marketing, and all those things that so many creative people find so-o-o-oo boring. Didn't YOU fail accounting 101?

The cover... so cool.

No comments: